Being a Soulsbourne title, Elden Ring, is extremely challenging. Luckily for us, the summoning mechanic makes the challenge easier by letting us bring in our friends or strangers. In this guide, we will tell you each and everything related to summoning your friends in Elden Ring and the summoning mechanic in general.
How to Get the Summoning Spirit Bell?
As with many things in Elden Ring, the game won’t hold your hand and point to where you can find this item. Hence it is easily missable. Fortunately for us, the bell is close to where you start your adventure in Limgrave.
You need to go to the Church of Elleh site of Grace to get the bell. It’s near your starting point in the World, just north of the Stranded Graveyard. From there, you need to get to Gate front Ruins and rest at the site of Grace.
Melina will appear before you when this happens with an offer, a request in exchange for your horse. You must accept this offer and then rest tonight on the site of Grace and forward time. After this, get up from the site, and another NPC will appear. This will be the Witch Renna.
Talk to her, and she will offer you the bell and some Lone Wolf Ashes. You can’t refuse her no matter what dialogue option you take.
If you don’t go through all of this, Renna will stop appearing after a while, and then this bell must be bought off of the Twin Maiden Husks in the Roundtable Hold once Melina allows you access to them.
The bell will summon friendly NPCs or monsters to aid you in battle. There are certain areas you can use this in only. To use it, you need spirit ashes. You equip the spirit ashes as a consumable, allowing you to summon help when consumed.
Spirit ashes can be found throughout the World or can be bought from the twin Maiden Husks. These are still spells, so they cost you FP too.
How to Summon Spirits in Elden Ring
To Summon Spirits in Elden Ring, you will first have to find Spirit Calling Bell. This item is not available to you from the start, and you will have to unlock it.
Next, talk to Melina, who is located in West Limgrave, after you obtain the spirit steed Torrent. Then, head to the Church of Elleh to talk to Renna, who will be sitting on a wall.
She will ask you to summon Torrent, which can be done using the Spirit seed torrent. She will give you the Spirit Calling Bell as a reward and the Lone Wolf Ashes. You can also purchase the Spirit Calling Bell at Roundtable Hold from the Twin Maiden Husks.
How to Upgrade Spirit Ashes
The Spirit Ashes can also be upgraded. To unlock the ability to upgrade Spirit Ashes, you will need to complete Roderika’s quest, who is a girl with a red hood located in Stormhill Shack.
Once unlocked, you can upgrade Spirit Ashes, making them much more effective and powerful.
For Spirit Tuning, you are required to get Grave Glovewort and Ghost Glovewort. You need to get either one of the two to upgrade Spirit Ashes according to their types.
Regular Ashes such as Warhawk, Lone Wolf, and Marionette Soldier require Grave Glovewort, and Special Ashes like Ancient Dragon Knight Kristoff and Banished Knight Oleg require Ghost Glovewort.
Both of these are plants where Grave Glovewort has white petals and Ghost Glovewort has purple petals. These are found in dungeons at nighttime, which is flooded with enemies.
Once you have enough of these herbs, take them to Roderika to upgrade your Spirit Ashes.
Where to Find Mimic Tear in Elden Ring
Mimic Tear is a unique boss in Elden Ring. This boss will copy your gear and appearance while fighting. If you defeat this boss, you get the infamous Mimic Tear Ashes.
There are two locations where you can find this boss in Elden Ring.
- The first location is a temple ruin in Nokron, Eternal City, that can be accessed by crossing the mist door. He will attack you once you reach the centre of the ruin.
- The second location where you can find this boss is the secret catacombs below the Hidden Path of the Haligtree. This boss is named Stray Mimic Tear, but it is the same boss as the other one.
Who are the Legendary Spirit Ashes?
These are the most powerful Spirit Ashes in the Elden Ring. You will need to find all six of them to unlock the Legendary Ashen Remains Trophy and Achievement. All six Legendary Spirit Ashes that you can find in the Elden Ring are given below.
- Hotel the Headless: This is dropped by Cemetery Shade, located in Tombsward Catacombs.
- Black Knife Tiche: This Spirit Ash is obtained as a drop from Alecto, the Black Knife ringleader.
- Redmane Knight Ogha: In the Eastern Camelid, War-Dead Catacombs, it is dropped by Putrid Tree Spirit.
- Mimic Tear Ashes: This is located in a chest behind a statue in Night’s Sacred Ground.
- Ancient Dragon Knight Kristoff Ashes: In West Leyndell, Royal Capital, Sainted Hero’s Grave, it is dropped by the Ancient Hero of Zamor.
- Cleanout Knight Finlay Ashes: In the Elphael Brace of the Haligtree, you can find these Spirit Ashes inside a chest that the Cleanout Knight guards.
How to Summon Friends in Elden Ring
Like previous FromSoftware titles, Elden Ring features a multiplayer element that allows both cooperative and competitive gameplay.
You may seek the help of friends and random players who have enabled their Multiplayer mode to aid in boss fights. Conversely, you can also invade nearby games to kill off the host for some rewards.
However, summoning your friends in Elden Ring is not straightforward and is a bit tricky, unlike other multiplayer games.
If you are looking to play with your friends and don’t want random players to fill your ally slots, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to Options and then into System.
- Set the Display Player Names to Online ID in the Network
- Choose a multiplayer password in the Multiplayer menu. You and your friends can use this password. But you can only play with two friends at the same time.
- Go to the region in which your friends are and use the Tarnished’s Furled Finger to create a Yellow summon sign in that region’s pool. Sites of Grace are recommended as you can easily fast travel there.
- Make your friend interact with your Summon sign from the pool and use the password to access the co-op. Once your friend has entered the password, you will jump into their game instantly.
If you want to compete against your friends, follow the steps mentioned above. But instead of using Tarnished’s Furled Finger, use Duelist’s Furled Finger.
The next thing you should know about if you are looking to summon your friends in Elden Ring is the usage of in-game resources found in the pause menu – multiplayer.
Some of these resources are used for invasions, and some of these items are used to see places for summoning your friends.
As you progress through the game, you will receive certain items that can be used in Multiplayer mode.
We have mentioned a few of these Multiplayer items and their usage below:
- Blue Cipher Ring: Blue Cipher Ring is used to put you in a waiting state. If another player requests assistance, you will be summoned as a hunter to assist with invasions.
- White Cipher Ring: Blue Cipher Ring is used to send out a request to the players available at the moment to help you out during invasions.
- Furcalling Finger Remedy: Furcalling Finger Remedy is used to see the summon signs in the game. These summon signs are used to invite players to play with you or against you.
- Finger Severer: Finger Severer is used for removing a player you summoned earlier from your session.
- Tarnished’s Furled Finger: Tarnished’s Furled Finger is used to leave a Gold Summon sign so that other players can interact with that sign and invite you to play cooperatively in their session.
- Duelist’s Furled Finger: Duelist’s Furled Finger is used to leave a Red Summon Sign. It is meant for a competitive multiplayer session.
- Bloody Finger: Bloody Finger is used to infiltrate the World of an unsuspecting player to defeat the host.
- Small Red Effigy: Small Red Effigy is used to set a Red Summon to sign in the pool of that region, allowing it to be reached from a larger area for competitive play.
- Small Golden Effigy: Small Golden Effigy is used to set a Yellow Summon to sign in the pool of that region, allowing it to be reached from a larger area for cooperative play.
How to Summon Random Co-Op Players
Random Players can also come into your World in Elden Ring and can be your ally or an enemy depending upon the colour of the Summon sign.
Below are the steps that you have to follow to summon Random Players into your World:
- Use the Furcalling Finger Remedy to reveal the Summon signs.
- Interact with the Summon sign to summon another player into your World. Depending on the colour of the summon sign, that player will either be an enemy or an ally. If the Summon sign is yellow, the incoming player will be an ally; if the Summon sign is red, the incoming player will be an enemy.
There are also Summoning Pools in Elden Ring that can be found at the start of the optional dungeons, scattered across legacy dungeons and near the bonfire analogues of Elden Ring.
You don’t need to look for Summon Signs if you require assistance in a dungeon or when leaving a Site of Grace.
A Martyr Effigy will appear in the Summoning Pools if you have allies and must engage with it, just like Summon signs. Martyr Effigy comes in Red and Yellow, just like Furled Fingers.
Before you may summon a player, you must first navigate through a list of players after interacting with Martyr Effigy, unlike Summon signs.
How to Get Summoned
You can also get summoned by another player in Elden Ring by creating your own Summon signs and Martyr Effigies.
When summoned, you’ll only have half of your flasks but will have access to your whole inventory. Also, mount and fast travel do not work.
The multiplayer session will stop if you die in combat or beat the boss in that region. It’s a defeat or be defeated scenario during invasions and competitive play.
When summoned, once the purpose of your visit is fulfilled, you will get back to your game. If you want to visit again, you will need to use another multiplayer item.
How to Create Summon Signs
A summoning sign can be created with Tarnished’s Furled Finger that can be found on a corpse at the Stranded Graveyard. Near the elevator to The First Step, look for a Site of Grace. Simply use the Furled Finger to spawn a Summon Sign for other players.
You may also use Finger Severer to de-summon yourself, which you can find on the corpse mentioned above.
How to Create Martyr Effigies
A Small Golden Effigy can be found by investigating any Martyr Effigy and is used to make Martyr Effigies. As a result, a nearby Summoning Pool will immediately generate a Co-op effigy.
How to Invade Another Player
You can also invade other players’ worlds in the Elden Ring for some great PvP action. You will need some specific items to perform an invasion in Elden Ring.
To invade other players’ worlds in PvP, you will need a consumable item called Festering Bloody Finger. This consumable item can send you to other players’ worlds for battling.
You can buy this item from different merchants in the game, one of which is in the forest in East Limgrave.
You can also leave down some PvP summoning signs so other players can summon you. So when you invade some other player’s World, your primary goal is to kill the host.
How to Leave Messages
You can also leave messages for other players in Elden Ring to help them by sharing your experience of the particular area.
To leave messages for other players, you will need two things. First is the Tarnished’s Wizened Finger, and the other is Message Menu.
So go to your inventory or your quick slot and select the Tarnished’s Wizened Finger. This will pop up in the message menu.
You can select a template from the message menu or from all words to write a message you want to leave. You will be restricted from writing here as you are not allowed to write the words you want.
But still, you can use that System to leave some useful messages for other players. Once you are done writing the message you want to leave, you can click the finish for leaving the message where you are standing right now.